Location: Cape Town
Background of the Organisation:
Gender DynamiX (GDX) is a Human Rights organisation focusing our advocacy on transgender, transsexual and gender non-conforming people’s rights and access to services. Gender DynamiX provides information about transgender, transsexual and gender non-confirming identities and seeks to promote awareness and acceptance by means of educating and empowering people from diverse communities, including: government departments, service providers such as medical professionals, teachers, employers, police, journalists and universities. Gender DynamiX also reach out to parents, children, co-workers and people who journey alongside trans* people.
With the change of leadership, due to the founder director leaving, there is a window of opportunity for this vibrant organisation to effect changes that will lead to a new era in trans* activism in South Africa. We are looking for a candidate that is prepared to lead, as well as fight from the trenches. Advocacy is our focus to ensure that transgender people are given a platform to highlight their concerns.
The successful candidate will be need to effectively liaise effectively with our funding partners, coordinate with stakeholders to develop good relations and a renewed sense of community, focus GDX work on national trans* advocacy, liaise with Management Committee, oversee projects and write grant proposals and reports in an organisation that works on a system of collective responsibility.
- Knowledge of relevant legislation.
- Ability to function effectively under pressure and .ensure that deadlines are met.
- Ability to envision the new path GDX operationally and strategically.
- Ability to provide guidance and work well with a dynamic team.
- Be hands-on & able to (think on your feet).
Key job outputs and standards:
1. Soliciting funding opportunities
- writing/overseeing the writing for grant applications
- oversight of grant process—scheduling, reporting, financial management and
- writing interim and final reporting to funders.
2. Strategic Management
- Ability to survey current trends in Africa and abroad for ideas on how to advance human rights for trans* and non-gender conforming persons
- Understanding of how current legislation progresses in other areas of human rights and constituent input intersect to create new opportunities for GDX to serve constituents
- Knowledge of how to strategically enter into mutually beneficial agreements with agencies to increase organisational capacity
3. Human Resources
- Knowledge/Experience with employee evaluation, hiring and termination
- Sourcing opportunities for staff development
4. Financial Management
- Aptitude for reading and understanding financial reports
- Able to compile and complete an financial report
- Experience in preparing writing budgets
- Familiarity with requirements for audits
- Experience/knowledge with procurement.
- Representation of the (South) African perspective at regional and international conferences to funders, other advocates and government
- Maintaining current knowledge of legislation and court cases to ensure that advocacy is being done within the organisation to address identified gaps
- Capacity to assess the value of potential relationships between GDX and other organisations in increasing our mission and capacity to grow and pursue them
- Ability to understand the impact of leveraging relationships to expand capacity or access
- Talent for negotiating the pitfalls of when to accept or decline invitations to be part of different movements or actions to advantage GDX
7. Liaising and working with the Management Committee (MC)
- Attending quarterly meetings to report current actions by GDX
- Carrying concerns of staff to Management Committee regarding pressing issues that may threaten organisational stability or success
- Financial co-management of funds and supervision of finance staff in office
- Acting as a non-voting member and bring balance to perspective of what seems possible to the MC and actual capacity for staff.
Desired Work Experience
- 5 to 10 years’ applicable experience in operating within a corporate and NGO environment
- Minimum 3 years staff supervision
- Tertiary education in a relevant field will be an advantage. However we will consider field and work experience both from the NGO sector or private sector on merit
Who should apply?
We encourage transgender, transsexual and gender non-conforming applicants as well as any persons who have a firm understanding of the LGBTI sector
To apply please send:
- Abridged, 2 page CV – maximum two pages
- One page motivational letter, indicating their understanding, passion and ideas of how they plan to take Gender DynamiX to a new era.
- Two contactable references.
- A maximum of two writing samples (Not more than a page each) reports, opinion pieces, essays or relevant documents demonstrating ability).
At this stage NO copies of ID or qualifications required
Please contact us at: az.oc.snoitalernamuhnull@ofni , attention: Louw Erasmus.
Fax 086 516 4398
If you have not heard from us within 30 days of the closing date please consider your application unsuccessful. Only short listed candidates will be contacted. We recruit nationally.
Gender DynamiX reserve the right not to fill this position.